Fruit and vegetables going bad that you bought at the beginning of the week? We hate that! Try these easy steps to make a perfect smoothie treat that is packed with the vitamins and minerals your kids need and avoid throwing away fruit and veggies in the process! This is a convenient snack for your kids that involves very minimal preparation and can be whipped (or blended?) together in no time.
- Fruit – freeze your fruit when it starts to turn bad and use it as an awesome smoothie enhancement later on!
- Spinach – you can puree spinach in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Add water as needed to reach desired consistency. Fill into ice cube trays and freeze.
- Carrots, Broccoli, etc. – steam or boil the carrots until tender. Puree the veggie of choice, adding water as needed, and fill into ice cube trays.
- Smoothie enhancement
- Vegetables (4 cubes of spinach, carrots, etc,)
- Carbohydrates (½ cup oatmeal)
- Protein (¼ cup almonds)
- Fat (½ avocado, 2 tbsp. chia seeds, 2 tbsp. flaxseed)
- Dairy (½ cup plain non-fat greek yogurt)
- 1 cup frozen fruit (or add until it has the sweetness you desire)
- Blend until smooth
Get everything you need in a tasty smoothie. Play around with the amounts. Our nieces love these smoothies!
Matt-n-Mike, and Meaghan (it was her idea after all...)